Monday, June 21, 2010

Today's a new day!

I suppose it's inevitable. We can't be perfect all the time. I read this quote today, and I love it:

“The tragedy in life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.” – Benjamin Mays


I'm an emotional eater. When I get upset, I lose all willpower. I got some startling news at work on Friday, and though I fought the rising temptations, I eventually gave in. I ate badly that night, and it continued through the weekend, ending in a kind of bad run yesterday. (Not terrible, but I just wasn't into it and finished 3 minutes slower than my best time) I probably didn't go over my calories by much, but I had almost no fruits and veggies the entire weekend! Yikes!

Anyway, today's a new day, and I'm getting back on track. There were some good things about the weekend, as opposed to the eating-without-tracking that was going on. I tried falafel for the first time, and I absolutely loved it! From what I've read, falafel is basically ground-up chickpeas on a pita with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers with a tahini-based sauce. Delicious! (I consider myself a flexetarian since I often find myself eating vegetarian meals like this one and the Greek Spinach Veggie Burgers I made last week)


I bought a hydration belt for running! I went with the Nathan Trail Mix which has two pockets for stuff and two 10-ounce water bottles. I tried it on yesterday's run. For the first mile, I absolutely hated it! It bounced around and spilled water all over my back (which I didn't exactly mind in the upper 80-degree heat!). Then when I took a walking break, I tightened it, and it was a million times better! I hardly noticed it then! I'm definitely going to use it on my runs now!

Speaking of running, my very first 5k race is this weekend! I've practiced the course several times now (at least 5, I think), and I'm going to take a break from it this week, I think. It's a tough course, and I'm getting a little tired of running it, honestly. So instead of trekking it one more time, I'm going to do a nice and slow run at a local state park later on this week. I'm going to give myself two rest days before the race, though.

Then next week, I'll start training for the 10k in October! My sister and I still want to run together on the weekends, working on increasing our distance.

So I'm not going to let a little "off-the-wagon" session get me down! From here, I can only move forward! Today's a new day!

No comments: