Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why I Love Running

When I run, I feel invincible. I feel like I’m capable of anything and everything. I feel like nothing can touch me or ruin my day.

I was never in very good shape growing up. I was thin, but had no real strength. We had this test in high school where you had to try to run a mile in under ten minutes. Forget it! I couldn’t jog for more than a minute or two at a time, let alone that distance in that time! Over the years, I just grew to believe that I couldn’t run, that it wasn’t in me.

Then my sister started training for a 5k. I thought she was nuts, but I soon followed her progress with pride. I wondered if I could do the same thing, but I had a few false starts. I didn’t research properly and both times I started a training program, I suffered pain and slight injury. It turned me off to running even more.

However, I thought I’d give it one more try. This time, I did my research first and talked to my sister (now pretty much an expert in running). Then I started the Couch to 5k program. I was amazed that it was both challenging and fun! It was difficult, but not to the point where I couldn’t do it. Jogging for 1-2 minutes at a time was something that was feasible for me, and continuing from there wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Today I finished my Week 4, Day 1 training. I jogged two intervals of 5 minutes at one time! I never thought I could do that! I’m proving to myself everyday that I’m capable of more than I ever thought I could do. There’s this rush when I’m running, this awesome feeling of, “I can do this! I can do anything!”

Sure, it’s hard at times, and I can’t say I’m never sore from this training. It’s so worth it, though, for that exhilarating, invincible feeling and for knowing that at the age of 30, I’m probably in the best shape of my life!

I’m almost halfway through this 5k training program, and I’m looking forward to each running day. By the end, I’ll be jogging for 25 minutes at a time! Right now, that seems a little scary to me, but so did 5 minutes, and I did that today! I know I can do it.

I can’t wait for my first 5k race! And eventually I’m going to do that ten-minute mile!

Couch to 5k Program!

No comments: