Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Food Revolution

I just discovered Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I can tell I'm going to love the show, but it's also going to make me angry...

I love that the message of the show is to help Americans eat healthier, particularly for the sake of children who are brainwashed into making horrible food choices. The state of our cafeteria/school lunch programs is disgusting! :-(

It's all about making healthier choices and cooking fresh foods rather than processed crap. It's how my husband has lost over 30lbs in the past 3 months. He still gets to eat a lot; we just don't buy processed foods nearly as much as we did before. And we can both tell the difference! Yesterday, I had microwave mini-cheeseburgers for lunch, and my stomach was killing me for the rest of the day! That crap is no good for me! (I, apparently, need a reminder every so often)

For fun, we like to go through the frozen section at grocery stores and look at the nutritional information on the foods we used to eat on a daily basis. It's insane! It's no wonder we both kept gaining weight, we felt tired all the time, and got winded walking down the street!

It's not about eating lettuce all the time, either. Healthy foods can taste really great, and the preparation time isn't much different than the processed stuff.

...now if I can get them to make more fresh foods at work. We cook food for our hot food bar every day, and we're actually required to offer a certain amount of "finger foods" which consist of things like french fries, chicken tenders, pierogies, mozzarella sticks, etc. Those are always the things that sell first. Most of our main courses are frozen, too. We just put them in a steamer to thaw and heat them, basically. The few dishes we sometimes cook fresh are things like macaroni and cheese and haluski, both very unhealthy. We do serve fresh fish often, but it's usually soaked in butter. We cook over half of what we serve in a deep-fryer... Gross!

I don't want to sound preachy or act like I know how everyone should live their lives... but you'll live longer if you take care of yourself. And if you don't care about yourself, do it for your family, your children. They deserve to feel healthy and happy and to live a long life. Right?


jamieoliver.com

Sign the petition to show you care about the health and future of our nation's children: Food Revolution Petition

No comments: