Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You live, you learn.

My husband and I both thought we'd be okay to go slightly off our "diets," by splurging at my birthday party on Sunday. Problem is, we started Saturday and didn't get back on track until today!

We feel terrible! Not guilt, but physically, we feel icky. We're both bloated and having intestinal pains and stuff. Nothing dire, just a general feeling of discomfort. Sometimes you don't realize how great you feel when you're eating healthy until you fall off the wagon and splurge on stuff that's not so good for you.

We did have plenty of healthy options at the party, fruits & veggies, sushi, and ginger chicken. But we also had chocolate cake and cookies and lots of pasta... They're okay in moderation, but we didn't feel like moderating ourselves. (Oh, and the splurging on Saturday started with a trip to McD's...)

Oh well, it's a new week, and we're even stronger in our resolve to eat healthy. We want to feel good again!

I started a new 30-day challenge on EA Sports Active yesterday, and I'm enjoying it. I moved up to medium-intensity so the workouts are a little longer with more reps of each exercise. I also set a goal to do 1200 fitness minutes for February, and two days in, I've got 107 minutes, so I think I'm doing well on that.

I also started the couch to 5k program again. I think I'm a little past the "couch" starting point (I know I can jog in place at least 5 minutes), but that's where I'm starting anyway. This program involves alternating periods of jogging and walking 3 times per week, gradually working in more jogging and less walking, so that by the end of the 6 weeks, you're jogging 5k (3.1 miles). More info: www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Stats (now that I'm back on track):

Nutrition:
Breakfast: Kelloggs All-Bran Complete Wheat Flakes with a banana and soy milk
Lunch: Bean and Pasta Soup (recipe: www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/B
ean-and-Pasta-Soup
) and a big salad
Dinner: tuna salad on Arnold's multi-grain sandwich thin
Snacks: 1/4 cup mixed nuts, 1/2 c whipped pineapple dessert, 15 wheat thins fiber selects crackers

I can still have 350 calories after that to reach the top of my range, and I need more protein, so I'll probably have more nuts or some peanut butter or something. (I'm working tonight, which explains my small dinner)

Fitness:
EA Sports Active: 25 minutes, 97 calories
Wii Fit Yoga: 10 minutes, 17 calories
Wii Fit Strength Training: 10 minutes, 22 calories
Wii Fit Aerobics: 11 minutes, 36 calories
Wii Fit Games: 4 minutes, 9 calories

Total: 60 minutes, 181 calories burned


So, the positives of falling off my healthy lifestyle for a few days are: I know that I feel tons better when I'm eating healthy, and at least I didn't gain any weight from splurging. Lesson learned!


My twin and I at our 30th birthday party!

No comments: